Tuesday, January 07, 2003

It's Christmas in Russia today. I'm still in England, so it looks like I've missed out on my ambition of having two Christmasses this year...

I will be in Russia for Orthodox New Year, though, which must be coming up in the next week or so. However I don't think it is much of a substitute for missing Orthodox Christmas, as Russians just celebrate New Year when we do. No, I don't understand either. And I'm not quite sure what Russians do do on Orthodox New Year, go to church for about four hours probably. Whoop.

My flight tickets came today. Everything is still going to plan. This is surprising.

My suitcase still stinks from when Kostya's cat pissed in it last year. I've tried everything - soap, air-freshener, leaving it outside on a windy day - and it still stinks. I just hope it doesn't set the sniffer dogs off at Sheremitievo on Friday. 'I'm not smuggling drugs, honest, just a cat pissed in my suitcase... nice doggie...'