Friday, March 05, 2004

VOLOG-WHERE?

This weekend is yet another three-day holiday weekend (International Women's Day has rolled round again), so I am off on a jaunt. This time the destination is Vologda, a mid-sized and more than slightly obscure city about 9 hours north-east of Moscow (yes, I'm sick of this southerly, mild weather). It's on the river, er, Vologda. Which is easy to remember.

Why Vologda? Well, a friend from last year, Hugh (whose name unfortunately sounds very similar to the Russian for 'penis'), strongly recommended that I pay a visit. Now is my chance. Well, we are catching the overnight train tonight (Friday), and come back during the day on Monday. Actually, that'll be the first time I've ever made a long train journey in Russia during the day. I might actually see something.

Vologda. Famous for its wooden buildings, churches, and lace manufacture. Sounds like my kind of town! Anyway, I'll let you know.