Tuesday, March 23, 2004

GHOST STATION

At the moment I am quite excited about the discovery of a 'ghost station' on my metro line. You've probably heard of similar phenomena (if I can call it that) on other metro systems. I know that my brother and sister-in-law know of a few on the Tube in London.

My own ghost station, here in Moscow, is an unfinished station that the Soviets started to build back when the line was first being put down. But the chosen location of the station was changed during construction and the original was abandoned before it was ever opened.

The reason I had known nothing about this station was because, quite obviously, it isn't lit. But recently I was on a train and just happened to be travelling through the station at the exact same time that a second train was travelling through it on the other side, in the opposite direction (the plaform is obviously open, like most on my line). The lights from the second train briefly illuminated the station and gave me my first view of it. Spooky! It makes me wonder how many years it has been since anyone has stepped on that platform. Does the station ever even have a name?