Tuesday, November 04, 2003

A SERIOUS POST?

Never! Actually, I was just wondering how much you were getting in the western media about the whole Yukos / Yabloko scandal that kicked off here recently. It's pretty big news over here, and what with the Duma elections in December it doesn't look like it's going to sort itself out any time soon.

It also means that Putin will have almost no opposition on any level. As much as I respect him as a leader, it's still pretty scary. He's got the media sewn up pretty tight too; there was a big crackdown after the Dubrovka theatre terrorism thing.

Oh. The scandal did hit the rouble briefly but then, annoyingly for me, the government acted to shore it up so the exchange rate is still pretty unfavourable. Bah. I'm still waiting for the sudden collapse that will make me rich beyond my wildest dreams. Or at least let me afford a new DVD player!