Wednesday, March 19, 2003

The first post for over a week, I'm sorry, our network has been down.

Last Saturday I went with a few other teachers to a club at Ulitsa 1905 Goda called Tochka, to celebrate, yes, St. Patricks Day. This is fast becoming a very important Russian holiday, though I'm not quite sure why.

Tochka is a big club that looks like a converted barn, though I'm sure it's not as you don't find many barns in central Moscow. And as with most Moscow clubs, it took us an hour to queue up to get in, another half an hour to put our coats in the cloak room, and then when we entered the club itself it was only half-full. Get a system, people.

Anyway. The main attraction of the evening was, and I quote, a number of 'Keltski Rock' bands playing. Keltski rock, if you are wondering, sounds a lot like the lead singer from Rammstein backed with the population of Summer Isle from the Wicker Man. Or death metal with fiddles, as you prefer.

Also, very bizarrely, ran into five of my old students from Obninsk. This is now the second time that this has happened, and while it does make me look very popular - every time I go clubbing I get jumped on by gangs of teenage girls, often literally - it is quite disconcerting. As was meeting a girl who went to uni with my brother, which I don't think has ever happened before.