Thursday, January 29, 2004

NEW COAT

I have bought a new coat. I actually look like a Russian now, rather than a downhill skiier who got a bit lost trying to find the Alps.

I knew the type of coat I wanted to buy. I asked a couple of acquaintances who had recently bought coats how much they had spent, giving me an idea of a reasonable price. I went to a clothes market that was recommended to me. I found a coat I liked. I tried it on. It fitted. I asked the price. It was, indeed, reasonable.

I agreed the price. But no! The market trader wasn't having that. He was so offended I didn't haggle that he started haggling with himself.

"3,300 Roubles."
"Okay. I'll take it."
"No! 3,200 Roubles. That's my final offer!"
"Okay, okay. I agree."
"No!"

I felt so bad for the bloke that I was tempted to start haggling the price up.